The Best Bedside Sleeper Bassinet is one that does it all. It keeps your baby safe, is great for traveling, and hopefully doesn’t take up too much room. Since newborn babies sleep an average of 14-17 hours a day, it’s important to find a place for them to sleep that’s safe and within arm’s reach. That is why a bassinet is often the first item new parents will put on their baby registry or purchase themselves.
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recently announced recommendations to keep babies safe, and a bassinet helps parents follow these guidelines stress-free.
Here’s why a bedside sleeper bassinet is the safest place for baby during the first days, weeks, and months:
- The AAP recommends that a baby sleep in the same space as parents for the first six months. The best bassinets provide a convenient way to room-share with an infant and will also have a smaller footprint than a crib. Bassinets also are so close to the parent’s bed that the baby is always within arm’s reach.
- A newborn should always be placed on their back on a flat sleep surface. A bassinet, such as the Mini Ezee™ 2 in 1 CO-SLEEPER® Bassinet ensures that parents are able to have the baby close by on the right surface and also provides the baby with their own safe sleep space.
- Having a newborn sleep within arm’s reach facilitates breastfeeding, another AAP recommendation, or any night time feeding.
- For anxious first-time parents, having their baby in a bassinet is calming. Maybe even more so than using a baby monitor.
- Babies should transfer to a crib when they are able to roll over. Parents should review weight recommendations of the bassinet as well.
- It’s important to keep soft bedding out of the bassinet or crib. This includes blankets, pillows, bumper pads, and soft toys.
For over 25 years, Arm’s Reach has offered parents a safe place for baby to sleep within arm’s reach. Arm’s Reach Co-sleeper®Bassinets offers a range of styles suited for beds of all shapes and sizes, so there’s always one that will fit baby’s and parents’ needs.
The company was founded by a mother and father’s need for a safe sleeping environment for their baby. For more than two decades parents across the country have discovered the benefits of co-sleeping in an Arm’s Reach Co-Sleeper®Bassinet. The benefits have been endorsed by medical and baby sleep experts, including Dr. William Sears, a pediatrician known for his life’s work in pediatrics, and Dr. James J. McKenna, founder and director of the Mother-Baby Behavioral Sleep Laboratory at the University of Notre Dame. Both experts have endorsed Arm’s Reach for its ability to increase bonding, ease feeding at night, and create a greater sense of closeness between a baby and parents.